Untreated Gates: Storage, Treatment and Care Instructions
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON DELIVERY
It is important you read this leaflet before installing the gate. The guidelines below will help ensure the gate is fitted correctly and in a suitable environment. FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THE INSTRUCTIONS WILL INVALIDATE ANY WARRANTY CLAIM.
- Report any damage to packaging before unwrapping. If no damage, Polythene wrapping should be removed and the gates to be inspected for size and defects. Do not treat the gate if any damage or defects are found. Any damage is to be reported immediately following delivery.
- Gates should be handled carefully and not dragged across each other or across other surfaces
- These gates have been produced at 16% moisture content and need to be kept dry. Avoid direct contact with sunlight until the gate has been fully treated
- Gates must be stored flat on three level bearers or upright against a wall with both stiles evenly supported until installation
- Any small nicks or scratches should be sanded using fine sandpaper before treatment
- Before hanging, gates must be treated and sealed on all faces and edges, Extra care must be given to the underside and all end grain – See Treatment instructions below
- Any gate which has been worked on cannot be exchanged, with the exception of a gate with a proven manufacturing defect
- This gate cannot be left exposed to the elements until fully treated
- Please recycle the packaging on the gates
To prevent staining, blue fungi, rot and to give full protection to your gate please follow the instructions of your chosen Treatment Manufacturers Data Sheets, this will always include preservatives and may also include degreasing, knotting agents, stain blocking primers, de-nibbing, base coats, top coats and drying times. Note that all faces, edges and any cut outs/drill holes for fittings must be fully treated paying particular attention to the underside and all end grain. We cannot guarantee against natural movement, splits, shakes or rot in timber products but the correct use of treatments will help to eliminate this. Further treatments will be required depending on the product used and location of your gates.
Gates must be fully treated before being hung or exposed to the elements. Two way adjustable hinges must be used to enable adjustments for movements that can occur with seasonable changes. When hanging gates the braces should “rise” from hanging stiles to centre stiles for strength. Manual gates must be fitted by an experienced installer. Automated gates must be fitted by a technically qualified installer. Gates should not be installed as a bi-fold gate. This will invalidate the warranty due to the stresses placed on the joints of the gates.
We recommend that the gates are regularly inspected and maintained during the first year, and then maintained annually in accordance with the chosen treatment manufacturer’s instructions.
This will help to extend the life of your gate(s).
In the event of this gate being proven to have a manufacturing defect where a replacement is needed, the liability of the seller shall under no circumstances exceed the price of the defective gate.
CONDITION OF SALE
Charltons will not be held responsible for any incidental work or problems as a result of bad storage, handling, hanging of gates or incorrect treatment (including customers failing to treat with preservative prior to applying finish coats) The foregoing does not affect your statutory rights. Full Terms and conditions can be found on our website www.charltonsgates.com